Vesuvius, plc, the world leader in ceramics and refractories related to the molten steel industry, is seeking multiple R&D engineers to join the Flow Control group at our refractories research centre near Mons, Belgium. Vesuvius is committed to hiring top researchers and project leaders across a broad range of disciplines in order to strengthen its technical base to deliver breakthrough products and solutions in all major product areas. Vesuvius currently employs over 10,000 people and has 70 manufacturing plants in 40 countries throughout the world delivering “best in class” service to its customers on every continent. Come and join our dynamic team in an attractive city that is rapidly diversifying culturally and economically.
The Flow Control Research team is looking for Research Engineers to support fundamental and product development R&D efforts within Vesuvius. These positions will lead new product or process development projects targeted to grow the Flow Control business globally. The team also develops fundamental understanding of process influences on product performance and product failure mechanisms. The successful candidate must apply material science concepts and new ideas to develop new technologies for future product development. These positions offer the opportunity to work in a global organization which values creativity, collaboration and diversity.
Key Result Areas:
- To lead new product development projects to provide improved product performance or value
- To design and to carry out experiments in support of new product development projects
- To designs and to carry out experiments to increase fundamental understanding of products and processes
- To identify and to implement improvements in R&D tests, processes and equipment to yield a safer working environment and better quality R&D results
- To collaborate with internal colleagues and external scientists and to monitor technology advances in literature, conferences and trade shows
- Master’s or Ph.D Degree in Materials or Ceramic Science/Engineering or Civil Engineering or related field
- Candidates with more experience will be considered for more senior roles on the engineering career ladder.
Required Skill Set:
- Significant knowledge of applied materials science and engineering is required. Experience in research, production and utilisation of refractories is a plus.
- Knowledge in the following subject areas is desirable as well:
- Material processing (raw material mixing, pressing, heat treatments, coating)
- Material characterization (powder properties, mechanical tests, corrosion tests, microstructure characterisation, …)
- Thermo-mechanical simulation of quasi-brittle materials
- Knowledge of steelmaking process
- Project management skills
- Logical and methodical. An adept of the "scientific" approach to problem solving
- Analytical: good problem solving skills, able to make complex decisions
Personal, Operating & Management:
- Energy and Drive
- Autonomy: self-motivated, organized, focused, sense of priorities
- An interest in teamwork and possibly managing a small team
Interpersonal & Communication:
- Fluent English as a working language. International culture. French language is a plus.
- Able to present technical subjects to non-technical audience
- Motivated to relocate to Belgium
We offer you:
- Annual Holiday entitlement;
- Healthcare, including for family members,
- Group personal pension scheme
- Attractive carrier prospects
Are you ready to take the challenge and you are motivated to relocate to Belgium? Apply from now on and join a dynamic company, in a sector in full development and which will allow you to develop your skills in a highly technological environment. Vesuvius is waiting for you!