Vesuvius, plc, the world leader in ceramics and refractories related to the molten steel industry, is seeking multiple experienced R&D engineers to join the Flow Control group at our future refractory research centre near Mons, Belgium. Vesuvius is committed hiring top researchers and project leaders across a broad range of disciplines in order to strengthen its technical base to deliver breakthrough products and solutions in all major product areas. Vesuvius currently employs over 10,000 people and has 70 manufacturing plants in 40 countries throughout the world delivering “best in class” service to its customers on every continent. Come and join our dynamic team in an attractive city that is rapidly diversifying culturally and economically.
The Flow Control Research team is looking for Research Engineers to support fundamental and product development R&D efforts within Vesuvius. These positions will lead new product or process development projects targeted to grow the Flow Control business globally. The team also develops fundamental understanding of process influences on product performance and product failure mechanisms. The successful candidate must apply material science concepts and new ideas to develop new technologies for future product development. These positions offer the opportunity to work in a global organization which values creativity, collaboration and diversity.
Key Result Areas:
- Leads new product development projects to provide improved product performance or value
- Designs and carries out experiments in support of new product development projects
- Designs and carries out experiments to increase fundamental understanding of products and processes
- Identifies and implements improvements in R&D tests, processes and equipment to yield a safer working environment and higher quality R&D results
- Collaborates with internal colleagues and external scientists and monitors technology advances in literature, conferences and trade shows
- Master’s or Ph.D Degree in Materials, Metallurgical or Ceramic Science/Engineering or related field
- Minimum 2-4 years materials research or new product/process development experience is required, ideally in an industrial R&D setting. Candidates with more experience will be considered for more senior roles on the engineering career ladder.
- Candidate should have minimum 2-4 years hands-on experience in the at least three of the following areas:
- Ceramics or related materials (Refractories, Composites, Refractory metals, Carbon)
- Advanced material processing and links with microstructure and properties
- Ferrous or non-ferrous continuous casting
- Steelmaking processes (i.e. EAF, LF, BOF, BF) and pyrometallurgy
- Project management in metallurgical industries or related field
Required Skill Set:
- Significant knowledge of applied materials science and engineering for high temperature structural applications and high temperature reaction systems are required. Capable of getting rapidly up to speed in refractory materials (if not already proficient).
- Experience in experimental studies and design
- Knowledge and experience in phase chemistry and thermodynamic modelling
- Logical and methodical. An adept of the "scientific" approach to problem solving"
- Analytical: good problem-solving skills, able to make complex decisions
- Knowledge in the following subject areas is desirable as well:
- Material processing (raw material mixing, pressing, heat treatments, coating)
- Rheology control (polymer additives)
- Material characterization (powder properties, mechanical tests, microstructure, …)
- Project management processes
Personal, Operating & Management:
- Energy and Drive
- Autonomy: self-motivated, organized, focused, sense of priorities
- An interest in teamwork and possibly managing a small team
Interpersonal & Communication:
- Fluent English as a working language. International culture. French language is a plus.
- Able to present technical subjects to non-technical audience
We offer you:
- Annual Holiday entitlement;
- Healthcare, including for family members,
- Group personal pension scheme
- Attractive carrier prospects
Are you ready to take the challenge and you are motivated to relocate to Belgium? Apply from now on and join a dynamic company, in a sector in full development and which will allow you to develop your skills in a highly technological environment. Vesuvius is waiting for you!
What to submit:
Combine the cover letter and C.V in a single application file and is required to be submitted in English
- Ensure to address the required skills and experiences in the cover letter (not longer than an A4 page)